With what foods it is better to combine figs?
- Figs are useful in any form: fresh, dried, baked
- Also, you can eat fig jam, bake meat with figs, cook salads, or, even make wine
- In some countries, it is often baked with meat and nuts
- Figs perfectly complement rich cheeses, prosciutto, and ham
- Dried figs are eaten in the same way as raisins or other dried fruits
- To make dried figs juicier and softer, you can be pre-soaked them in water or fruit juice
- By mixing crushed figs in a blender with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, you will have a useful and tasty salad dressing
But to get the most pleasure from figs, it is important to choose the right fruit.
How to choose figs?
- The fruit should not be too soft or too hard
- It should be pressed, but not turn into “porridge”
- Figs are stored in the fridge for no longer than three days, then it loses its taste and usefulness
What are the benefits of figs?
- Fresh figs, with their low caloric content, well satisfy hunger and give a feeling of satiety for a long time, so it is a good way to fight overweight
- Figs are rich in fiber, vitamins, and trace elements
- It contains vitamins B, A, C, K, E, and beta-carotene, as well as potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron
- Its excellent support for strong immunity
- Figs normalize the activity of the thyroid gland
- Useful for the nervous and cardiovascular systems because it thins the blood
- Lowers cholesterol
- It is a light antipyretic
- Figs are excellent in the fight against anemia
Who should avoid eating figs?
Even, the most useful foods should be used with caution.
- Figs better eating no more than 4-5 pieces a day to avoid problems with the stomach and intestines
- It is not recommending to eat figs for people with gastrointestinal disorders
- It is also important to remember about moderation consumption for people, suffering from gastritis and diabetes
And what about dried figs?
It is very important to remember that the amount of sugar in dried fruits increases many times. Namely – up to 70%.
Keep this in mind if you have diabetes or overweight. The optimal amount of dried figs for healthy people is 2-3 pieces per day.
Picture Credit: Pexels